On the southern shores of Haukiperä in the terrain around a fork in the road one of the most significant battles of the Winter War place. Early in the morning before the mist had lifted an quite massive infantry troop of the Red Army succeeded in crossing the bay at Haukiperä. The ice was too thin for their tanks to cross. After a fierce battle the Finnish forces succeeded in pushing the aggressor back over the gulf to the opposite shore. The Red Army’s breakthrough towards Oulu was thus thwarted.
The monument bears the text:
“The advances of enemy forces during the Winter War were brought to a halt here on 9th December 1939”.
The monument was erected on the 30th May 1959.
The location of the memorial can be seen on the Kainuu outdoors map.
Street address: Juntusrannantie 27, Suomussalmi